Thursday, March 8, 2007

You're not the one I want

Will I offend anyone if I go on the record to say that I wish for the slow, torturous destruction of reality television?
I recently read a article by Denver Post’s John Moore about NBC’s “You’re the One That I Want,” a reality show about Broadway hopefuls auditioning for the leading roles for “Grease.” The article also mentions the success of “American Idol” which is another show that I’m all too sick of. What’s really sad about “American Idol” is that, even though 37 million people watch the show, most of the people with whom I discuss it say they don’t like it either, so I know I’m not alone here. Even some people who do watch it don’t really like it — or at least they admit that the show has fallen dramatically from its first season. Bottom line: America would be fine without its “Idol.”
“You’re the One That I Want” is hoping for success like “American Idol” while I am praying for an end to this reality trend I’ve had to endure for far too long. What bugs many of Moore’s sources is that it is denigrating to the whole theater process. I agree. People with real Broadway talent have no business auditioning for 8 million people on national television.
What really bugs me is that there is no end in sight. I could have dealt with one season of “American Idol,” and I could deal with one season of “You’re the One That I Want,” but if history holds true for the Brits (creators of both shows), We’ll have to put up with this for a long time. The show is a spin-off of BBC’s “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria” — why not do that in America? After that there are many more musicals to exploit. Do me a favor, if you want theater, go to UNC’s production of “Titanic: The Musical.” It’s running right now in Langworthy Theatre, Not having seen it, I can almost guarantee you will see more talent there than you will on television these days.

Read John Moore's story here

"Grease" gets real

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home